Randall H. Borkus, Esq.
Randall believes that business succession, asset protection and estate planning are less about numbers and much more about helping people preserve, protect, and provide for who and what is most important to them.
Randall also specializes in counseling ultra-high net worth individuals as well as their advisors in areas of asset protection, business succession development, and philanthropic and wealth transfer planning. Such individuals include owners of closely held businesses, entrepreneurs, ranchers, farmers, venture capitalists, investors, lawyers, doctors, inheritors and former professional athletes. Randall has collaborated with hundreds of professionals across the country on cases involving ultra-high net worth clients. He also mentors and teaches attorneys, financial advisors, insurance wholesalers, and CPAs devoted to the ultra-high net worth market. Randall’s clients come from referrals across the nation, including existing clients, financial advisors, estate planning attorneys, philanthropic advisors, accountants, insurance wholesalers, and many other business professionals.
- The Administration Budget Proposals Lurk “Green Book” National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, 2013 Spring Collegium – Indianapolis, IN.
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts, South Suburban Estate Planning Council, February 2013
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts Update, Private WPC Event, Nov. 2012.
- Protecting a Business Owner’s Intellectual Property: Case Study, National Network of Estate
Planning Attorneys, Fall 2012 Collegium – Tucson, AZ.
- Life Insurance and Asset Protection Planning, National Business Institute, (NBI) Sept. 2012.
- Collaboration: Working With Other Professionals Profitably, PPC Annual Rendezvous, August 2012, Denver, CO.
- Collaboration: Working With Estate Planners Profitably, The Florida Key’s CPA Chapter, Key Wst, FL, May 2012.
- Using Life Insurance and Annuities in Asset Protection Planning, Illinois WealthCounsel Forum, March 2012.
- Tenancy by the Entirety, Asset Protection and Federal Income Tax Liens, Chicago Bar Association Asset Protection Committee presentation, February 2012.
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts in Federal Bankruptcy, Chicago Bar Association Asset Protection Committee presentation, October 2011.
- The Truth About Business Succession: Presentation to Business Owner’s Aboard “The Great Lady” (60Ft. Viking), Captiva Island, Florida, Sept. 2011.
- Family Charity Planning, Advisors In Philanthropy (AiP), Rosemont Illinois, Spring 2011.
- Collaboration: Working With Others Profitably, The Florida Bar’s General Practice, Solo & Small Firm Section, Weston, FL, Spring 2011.
- Panel on Professional Athletes and Investment Fraud, Chicago Bar Association Sports Law Committee, Winter 2011.
- Family Charity Planning, Income Tax & Social Capital, National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, Fall 2010 Collegium.
- Conveying Advanced Estate Planning Concepts to Clients, WealthCounsel, LLC, Summer 2010 Planning for Generations.
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts, National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, Spring 2010 Collegium.
- Advanced Estate Planning Concepts & Life Insurance, WealthCounsel, LLC, 2009 Atlanta, GA.
- Asset Protection & Corporations, National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, Fall 2009 Collegium.
- Defective Grantor Trusts for High Net Worth Estates, National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, 2006 Fall Collegium
- Insurance Limited Liability Companies And Business Succession Planning, The WealthCounsel Quarterly, July 2012.
- Misconceptions and Misunderstandings About The Estate Tax Exclusion, The WealthCounsel Quarterly, January 2012.
- Contributing Author, Put Your Money Where Your Heart Is! (A Guide to Including Faith and Values in Your Estate & Financial Planning), Collaborative Press (Omaha, NE 2012).
- Contributing Author, Being in Business is a Funny Thing – Getting Out is Not! A Business Owners Guide to Growing & Transitioning the Business, Collaborative Press (Omaha, NE 2011)
- Asset Protection Planning, Journal of Retirement Planning, Borkus & Kohler (CCH 2010)
- Asset Protection Planning, Journal of Estate Planning, Borkus & Kohler (CCH 2009)
- The Sale of Assets to a “GDOT” – an Essential Estate Planning Tool for Sizeable Estates (NYSBA 2009)
- Series LLCs: Practical Pointers and Tax Implications, Illinois State Bar Journal, Borkus and Myers (ISBA Jan. 2007)
- Minimizing Risk in Taxable Portfolios: Initiating and Closing out Derivative Transactions Without Unexpected Tax Consequences, Illinois State Bar Association Federal Taxation Newsletter (February 2004)
- ADVANTAGEOUS USES OF LLCs, Limited Liability Companies in Illinois: National Business Institute Seminar (NBI) (Oct. 2003)
- A Trust Fiduciary’s Duty to Implement Capital Preservation Strategies Using Financial Derivatives Techniques, 36 Real Property, Probate & Trust Journal, 127-166 (2001).
- The John Marshall Law School – Juris Doctor – May 2001 – Law Review: Computer & Information Law.
- The John Marshall Law School – LL.M. in Taxation – May 2001
- Illinois Institute of Technology – Stuart School of Business – Master of Science Degree in Financial Markets and Trading – May 1997
- Northern Illinois University – Bachelor of Science in Finance – May 1996; Cum laude with Upper Division Honors
- Illinois Supreme Court
- North Dakota Supreme Court
- Wyoming Supreme Court
- South Dakota Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS:
- WealthCounsel, LLC a national association of estate planning attorneys
- SunBridge Legacy Program – The Power of Stories and Families
- Advisors in Philanthropy (AiP)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Committee Membership: Asset Protection Committee; Sports Law Committee; Federal Taxation
- Committee, Media & Entertainment Law Committee
- Purposeful Planning Institute: a learning center for professionals interested in working collaboratively with other professionals for families in business and families of significant wealth.